Design-build contracting is a relatively new concept in the construction industry, but it’s been gaining momentum over the past few years. In fact, according to the National Association of Homebuilders, design-build projects accounted for about 2 percent of total U.S. housing starts in 2016 and 4 percent in 2020.
What Is Design-Build – An Overview To The Sector!
Design-build is a method of construction in which the design of the project is developed and then the construction of the project is carried out by a construction company. The construction company then builds the project, and the design is then reviewed and approved by the construction company.
Design-build is specifically a project management methodology where contractors work together to build a structure for a client. The contractor designs the entire building while the owner provides input on final specifications. Once both parties agree on the final product, the contract is awarded to the builder who then implements the agreed-upon plan.
The advantages of this method are that it is much faster than construction by contract and that it allows for a much more flexible approach to construction. Also, it allows for a much more flexible approach to construction. This flexibility allows for a much more flexible approach to construction, which can include changes to the design or changes to the project schedule.
Why Should You Choose Design-Build Over General Contractors?
Using design-build allows clients to have a say in their construction. Clients may have ideas on how they want their space to look or feel. By incorporating these ideas into the design phase, the result will be much more satisfying than if the client were left out of the decision-making process.
By having a say in your own home or office designing process, you can make decisions about what colors and materials you would like to use. If you hire a general contractor or someone else to do the job, you may not get the liberty to discuss things or select colors or materials that you want in your office or home.
Why Is Design-Build Contracting Becoming Increasingly Popular?
There are several reasons why property owners are turning more towards the design-build concept instead of going for conventional construction works. Some of them are:
- Design-build contracts are often shorter than traditional contracts.
- Contractors who specialize in design-build tend to have higher production rates and lower costs.
- Design-build contractors are often able to complete projects faster than their competitors.
- Design-built homes tend to cost less than custom homes.
In addition, design-build contracting offers homeowners many advantages. Here are some of them:
- You get to choose everything from the outside appearance of your house to the flooring, cabinet style, countertops, appliances, lighting fixtures, and even the paint color.
- You don’t need to hire an interior designer.
- Your project manager will help you find the best materials and suppliers for your project.
- You won’t have to pay for building permits.
- You won’t have to wait months before you start moving in.
- You will receive a final estimate before any work begins.